The first day of every February marks the beginning of American Heart month.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in both men and women. 1 in 4 women in the United States die of heart disease every year, even though heart disease is both preventable and controllable.
You can prevent heart disease with these steps:
- Know your blood pressure, and keep it under control
- Exercise regularly
- Don’t smoke
- Get tested for diabetes, and if you have it, keep it under control
- Know your cholesterol and triglyceride levels, and keep them under control
- Eat a lot of healthy fruits and vegetables
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Keep your stress levels low
600,000 people needlessly die from heart disease each year. Begin your path of prevention and control today. Your heart will thank you for it.
What ways do you do to stay heart-healthy? Write your answers in the comments section!