The most common presentation of pigmentation is hyper-pigmentation. Hyper-pigmentation occurs when the skin produces more melanin (the pigment that gives skin its color) which causes spots or patches of skin to appear darker than surrounding areas.
Types of hyperpigmentation include age spots, melasma, and post-inflammatory pigmentation which can result from surgery, burns or acne. Hyperpigmentation is a common skin condition and affects people of all skin types but becomes more common as you age.
Treatments for pigmentation:
Luckily, here at The Woodhouse Day Spa we offer a range of services targeted to address hyper-pigmentation including medical grade facial services and take-home products to enhance your results.
- HydraFacial – HydraFacial is a four-step resurfacing facial with no down time! It includes a deep cleanse, exfoliation, extractions and deep hydration. HydraFacial offers a 7.5% Glycolic exfoliation with the option to upgrade to 15%. The glycolic peel exfoliates the skin to reveal brighter clearer skin beneath.
- Booster Serums - HydraFacial also offers a specialized booster enhancement specifically for targeting dark spots and hyperpigmentation, Britenol. This booster serum is formulated to target dark spots and sun-damaged areas. It has alpha-arbutin and vitamin C, which are ingredients that help to lighten and brighten the skin. This is used as a spot treatment applied to specific target areas during your HydraFacial treatment.
- Illuminating Facial – The Woodhouse Day Spa’s Illuminating facial uses SkinCeuticals products including an effective combination of glycolic and salicylic acid exfoliation to brighten the skin. This combination is not recommended for all skin types so your esthetician will do a thourough skin assessment to determine if this facial is suited to your needs.
Take Home Products:
The Woodhouse Day Spa also offers a range of highly effective take-home products for you to continue your results at home.
- SkinCeuticals Retinol – 0.5% and 1% retinols can be used before bed to encourage skin regeneration and reduce fine lines, wrinkles and hyper-pigmentation.
- SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic – This highly concentrated Vitamin C serum offers protection against sun damage, improves the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, loss of firmness, and brightens skin's complexion.
- SPF Day Cream – SPF should be applied daily to prevent future hypre-pigmentation and reduce the risk of sun damage.
Hyper-pigmentation can be stubborn to treat, and prevention is the best remedy to reducing the signs of hyper-pigmentation. Daily SPF use and monthly facials performed by an experienced esthetician are a great way to protect your skin against sun spots and hyper-pigmentation. Your esthetician may suggest having a few services closer together to help maximize your results.
Schedule your skin consultation with our experienced estheticians. Call The Woodhouse today to book your next facial.